[Openmcl-devel] autorelease pools

alex crain alexcrain at mail2.widgetworks.com
Mon Sep 6 18:01:27 PDT 2004

Could someone give me a short explanation on when I need to create an
autorelease pool?

My understanding is that I get one for free when I boot up from AppKit
but I need to
create one every time I create a new thread. I also should create one
when I'm building
transient structures or they won't get released until the thread exits.

Where I'm having trouble is with the idea that all the NS objects have
lisp wrappers
so I would intuitively think that when the lisp objects get GC'd they
would clean up
the COCOA objects as well, but maybe not. Is lisp side memory
management totally
separate from the COCOA side?