[Openmcl-devel] require cocoa on 10.2.8?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Sep 26 14:33:01 PDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Georg Bauer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am currently playing around with the bleeding edge version. The
> 0.14.2-p1 worked fine with 10.2.8, but the new version doesn't show any
> text and doesn't allow any input after (require 'cocoa) - is this a
> known problem?

It wasn't known, but it's not totally surprising: the bleeding-edge
version of the Cocoa IDE still misbehaves under 10.3.

> When I start up the environment, I get a listener with the cursor in
> the small input area at the bottom of the window. The bigger area above
> is blank. I can't enter anything, as I get the following messages when
> I try:
>
> ? 2004-09-25 15:47:48.975 [13320] Exception raised during posting of
> notification.  Ignored.  exception: lisp exception
> 2004-09-25 15:47:50.362 [13320] *** NSThread: ignoring exception 'lisp
> exception' (reason 'lisp exception') that raised during delayed perform
> of target 0x836250 and selector 'endEditing'
> 2004-09-25 15:47:50.448 [13320] *** NSThread: ignoring exception 'lisp
> exception' (reason 'lisp exception') that raised during delayed perform
> of target 0x836250 and selector 'updateHemlockSelection'
> 2004-09-25 15:47:57.598 [13320] *** NSThread: ignoring exception 'lisp
> exception' (reason 'lisp exception') that raised during delayed perform
> of target 0x836250 and selector 'updateHemlockSelection'

It's hard to make the main event thread enter a break loop when an error
occurs, but it probably wouldn't be extremely difficult to get Cocoa
to say something more than 'lisp exception' (i.e., to make that exception
a little more descriptive.)  I have a hunch that it's trying to tell us
something ...

I'm not conscious of anything that the Cocoa side of the editor is
doing that would depend on 10.3+ (that certainly doesn't mean that
it's not depending on Panther in some way, just that it's not doing so
consciously ...)  The fact that the errors that were logged complain
about a 'lisp exception' suggests that something else is going on.

> When I start a new editor window, I get a blank window, too. I can open
> a file with ctr-x- ctrl-f, but the content doesn't show. And I can't
> edit anything or write new text. Weird.
>
> bye, Georg

I haven't worked much on this in several weeks, but I did get some
relatively recent patches (from Alex Crain, Randall Beer, and others)
checked in to CVS on Saturday.  ("relatively recent" in this case means
"about a week old".)