[Openmcl-devel] OSX install difficulties

Francis Derive francisderive at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 06:54:57 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I am a long time Lisp/Scheme runner amateur, and I now came to stop by
OpenMcl.
Not so easy to tell what did I do for this install - should I mean
following the kind of Mobius's install documentation :).

At the end of it, I can say I followed the path for Building OpenMCL
from its Source Code.

I will make it again by the time someone could tell me why :

	- a) % openmcl at the command line says that :

/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/scripts/openmcl: line 41:
/usr/local/src/ccl/dppccl: No such file or directory

/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/scripts/openmcl: line 41: exec:
/usr/local/src/ccl/dppccl: cannot execute: No such file or directory

	- b) % cvs -d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev
co ccl says that :
		? .DS_Store
		protocol error: directory '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14/ccl' not within
root '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev'

I remember I have downloaded the source archive and extracted it in
ccl's parent directory.
My shell can reveal sensible
	- $CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY : /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl
	-  $OPENMCL_KERNEL : /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/dppccl
	- $PATH :
[...]:/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl:/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/
openmcl/ccl/scripts:.

Also I had a successful cvs update : CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl % cvs up
( I may not know exactly the difference between and update and a % cvs
-d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14 get ccl )
and following the documentation Chapter 2 path :
	- Source code,
	- Lisp Image : why a bin archive is needed ? - if I have well
understood -  when we have already downloaded a full version,
containing dppccl and dppccl.image ?
          - Interface database,
I came to
	- Bleeding.-edge sources where my % cvs -d
:pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev co ccl

        which says that above message at b).

I feel sorry to be confused and confusing - but still hope for being a
better Lisp/Scheme amateur.

Cheers.

Francis