[Openmcl-devel] OSX install difficulties

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Sep 28 11:06:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Francis Derive wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I am a long time Lisp/Scheme runner amateur, and I now came to stop by
> OpenMcl.
> Not so easy to tell what did I do for this install - should I mean
> following the kind of Mobius's install documentation :).
>
> At the end of it, I can say I followed the path for Building OpenMCL
> from its Source Code.
>
> I will make it again by the time someone could tell me why :
>
> 	- a) % openmcl at the command line says that :
>
> /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/scripts/openmcl: line 41:
> /usr/local/src/ccl/dppccl: No such file or directory
>
> /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/scripts/openmcl: line 41: exec:
> /usr/local/src/ccl/dppccl: cannot execute: No such file or directory

See

<http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/ch01s03.html>

The "openmcl" shell script tests the value of CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY,
and sets it to the value in the script if it's not set.

You say below that you have CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY set in your shell
environment.  Some shells (bash included, IIRC) make a distinction
between setting a shell variable and "exporting" it into the environment
so that its value will be accessible to other programs.  For whatever
reason, the value of this variable is not accessible to the shell
script

> 	- b) % cvs -d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev
> co ccl says that :
> 		? .DS_Store
> 		protocol error: directory '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14/ccl' not within
> root '/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev'

I believe that this is the sort of cryptic error that CVS generates when
you try to checkout something "on top of" something else.

> I remember I have downloaded the source archive and extracted it in
> ccl's parent directory.
> My shell can reveal sensible
> 	- $CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY : /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl
> 	-  $OPENMCL_KERNEL : /Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl/dppccl
> 	- $PATH :
> [...]:/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl:/Volumes/SEPT/CommonLisps/
> openmcl/ccl/scripts:.
>
> Also I had a successful cvs update : CommonLisps/openmcl/ccl % cvs up
> ( I may not know exactly the difference between and update and a % cvs
> -d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14 get ccl )
> and following the documentation Chapter 2 path :
> 	- Source code,
> 	- Lisp Image : why a bin archive is needed ? - if I have well
> understood -  when we have already downloaded a full version,
> containing dppccl and dppccl.image ?

OpenMCL was (until this past spring) distributed as separate "binary",
"sources", and "interfaces" archives.  Even though that's completely
intuitive and should never cause confusion, people persisted in believing
otherwise ...

I'm not sure if there's good reason to continue the separate archives;
it's probably less confusing for people doing an initial install to
grab the "all" archive, but the individual ones may make upgrading
easier in some cases.

>           - Interface database,
> I came to
> 	- Bleeding.-edge sources where my % cvs -d
> :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev co ccl
>
>         which says that above message at b).

The manual should make it clearer that if you want to maintain working
copies of both the "main" and "bleeding-edge" CVS trees, those working
copies have to be kept in separate directories.  (This is a CVS issue:
it needs to know where every checked-out file came from and what version
was checked out, and would be confused by attempts to mix files from
two different remote repositories in the same local directory.)