[Openmcl-devel] how does this work, exactly?

Randall Beer beer at eecs.cwru.edu
Thu Sep 30 07:32:28 PDT 2004

It might help to know that instances of ObjC classes and their "Lisp"
subclasses are actually MACPTRs to the underlying ObjC instances, plus
some auxiliary storage in a Lisp hash table that holds any associated
Lisp slot values.  The main reason for doing it this way rather than
"mirroring" every ObjC with a Lisp instance was to avoid having to
convert back and forth between these two objects on every message send.

Thus, (MAKE-INSTANCE 'SOME-LISP-SUBCLASS-OF-AN-OBJC-CLASS ...) actually
returns a MACPTR to foreign storage that ObjC recognizes as an
instance.  Because this MACPTR is stored in a hash table with its
associated Lisp-level slots, it will not be GC'd.

I'm certainly not claiming that the current setup is the best, only
that the instances in your example will not be GC'd. We clearly have
some work to do on better integrating ObjC and Lisp memory management,
and Gary's previous message explains the various subtleties involved
and some of the approaches that we have discussed.

Randy