[Openmcl-devel] slowness

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Apr 9 07:59:56 PDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:43 AM, David Tolpin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an application which is almost twice slower in OpenMCL than in
> > CLISP (and CMUCL three times faster than CLISP, which is what I
> > expected to see). I thought OpenMCL would be generally faster than
> > CLISP, was I wrong?
> >
> > David
>
> About the only area that I'd expect to see OpenMCL slower than CLISP is
> in bugnum arithmetic, but the fact that CMUCL is faster than CLISP
> mostly rules that out.

CLISP's bignum arithmetic is mostly written in C (using GMP) and is
indeed often very good.

> How are you running this? Are you compiling the file and loading it?

Everything (well, just about everything) is compiled by default
in OpenMCL.

I suspect that it'd be very hard to know why David Tolpin's code runs
as slowly as it does without having any idea of what it's doing.