[Openmcl-devel] "potential numbers" as symbol names

bryan o'connor bryan-openmcl at lunch.org
Wed Apr 20 11:45:39 PDT 2005

there's also this in 2.3.1.1:

"The syntax involving a leading package marker followed
by a potential number is not well-defined. The consequences
of the use of notation such as :1, :1/2, and :2^3 in a
position where an expression appropriate for read is expected
are unspecified."

and then the colon-number cleanup which suggests the right
thing is to agree to disagree on how to define it.
   http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Issues/iss055_w.htm

maybe we should issue a style warning stating that :\1 is
preferred to (and more "well-defined" than) :1.

     ...bryan