[Openmcl-devel] openmcl future features

Hamilton Link hamlink at cs.unm.edu
Mon Aug 1 11:43:16 PDT 2005

Hello, fellow openmcl users.

I want to elicit the group's vision of the future of openmcl,
particularly requirements for the openmcl IDE.  This is a little bit of
a pita since the available medium is email, but I will try to make the
most of it and ask the least of you.  Respond as you see fit, but I'd
like to have as many participate as possible---and if you think I'm
asking questions that I aught to (as a lisp programmer) already know
the answers to, you're right, but I thought it might be good if I got a
second opinion: Yours!

For more open-ended questions I'll just post them to the list and
extract what I can from the thread, but for most of the questions
(which I hope to keep pretty structured) please send or cc your
response to me.  I will collate the responses and post the result to
the list after a day or two for further discussion.

With that said, here's the first question.  Answer the question and
follow that with any other comments you have either as an addendum or
on the mailing list.

thanks,
hamilton

---

Please prioritize this list of potential features for the openmcl IDE,
most important to least important (so you can just cut and paste, you
don't have to number them).  In particular I want to see what you'd
list as the top 5, and a rough order over all.  For things that truly
aren't important to you, place them *after* "A ham sandwich" in the
list.

If you can think of additional features (at the granularity of these)
please feel free to add them in your response.

For your top five, if you are inclined to brainstorm features of those
items you'd like to see or use in a comparable system already, feel
free to write me some notes after your list.

Editor
Backtrace
Inspector
Profiler
Stepper
Find-in-Files Dialog
A ham sandwich
Listener
Class Hierarchy Viewer
Package Viewer
Bundle Builder (under OS X only)
GnuStep Compatability (under linux only)
Apropos Dialog
Hotkey Bindings Dialog