[Openmcl-devel] openmcl 1.0 vs. GUI

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 22:00:54 PDT 2005

No feedback IS feedback.  It means that people don't think it's good
enough to bother with yet, and I know why I personally don't think it's
worth bothering with yet, and I've said why before: speed.  Oh, and
pretty often the last time I used it it was still throwing errors
subtly suggesting I should Save Often.

I will download and try the latest version, but my criteria for an
editor for lisp, in priority order, are:

1) keystroke response is faster than 50 wpm (= 300 cpm = 5cps -> at
least a 5Hz response rate)

2) no warning messages, dead windows, or worrying about data loss
3) emacs keybindings
4) reasonable listener integration (eval, and the longer-term potential
for eval-and-inspect, trace-this, who-calls, etc.)
5+) bells and whistles (sexp selection, syntax highlighting, etc.)

And in general I'd settle for #1, wait patiently for #2-3 and live a
very long time without #4-6 (I use emacs without slime 99% of the time,
and it's still better than using Hemlock).

I was using the editor on and off for several months (and consistently
for maybe a month), and complained about the editor's speed and made
some attempts at fixing it basically that entire time.  Then a few
changes got made by several people that improved things to "nearly
acceptable," except for indentation, which was (is?) still slow for
nested forms.  Then I got sidetracked and the GUI wasn't worth fussing
with while I put out other fires, so I reverted to emacs.

I guess my points are two-fold.  One is please put in the indentation
fix unless you can assure me that using your other methods all buffer
updates happen inside of 5Hz (and imho if you have to resort to the
tricks you mention Hemlock's still doing something very wrong, my email
client doesn't have any of those limitations and it's perfectly speedy,
as is Fred and most every editor I've ever used other than Hemlock).
The other is until the editor, backtrace, and listener (ranked 1/2/3)
are solid and responsive I predict people will continue to use openmcl
solely from the command line or via slime, along with emacs or vi.

So don't waste your time on the documentation manager etc. which came
in tied for positions 6/7/8.  Figuring out where effort should be spent
was the whole point of doing that survey.

Like I said I will resume using the GUI environment but until the top
three things are solid the GUI is going to continue lose out to slime
and you should interpret the near total silence of the potential user
base as equivalent to feedback along those lines.

hamilton