[Openmcl-devel] forward declare an ObjC message?

Randall Beer beer at eecs.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 10 14:52:17 PST 2005

Yes, SEND tries to optimize the call based on the name of the message.
Using the function %SEND instead should do what you want: (%SEND
(@CLASS A-WINDOW) 'SHOW-ME)

For what it's worth, the following will also work:

(LET ((MSG 'SHOW-ME))
   (SEND (@CLASS A-WINDOW) MSG))

because it forces SEND to expand into %SEND since the message is
unknown at compile-time.  It should be fairly easy to change SEND so
that it also expands into %SEND when given a constant message that is
undefined at compile-time.

However, you must realize that using %SEND is much more expensive that
using SEND because all of the message signature and type processing and
foreign function call cruft will then be done at runtime rather than
compile-time. This may be OK for some of your messages, but you
definitely don't want to do this for any time-critical code.

The only way to forward reference messages would be to "explain" their
types to the bridge. It should be possible to write such a utility that
makes an entry in the type signature table fairly easily, but
essentially it would be equivalent to giving a DEFINE-OBJC-MESSAGE
definition with an empty body.

Randy