[Openmcl-devel] RFC - init-file and asdf:*central-registry* changes

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Wed Feb 16 19:57:48 PST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 10:34 PM, bryan o'connor wrote:
> i don't think i was clear, we would specify a file, .openmcl/init.lisp,
> and that in turn could load as many files as it wants in that (or
> other)
> directories.  i just like the idea of it being in a separate directory
> encourage that behavior.
>
> i won't rest until i am able to clean up everybody's home dir.  ;)

And if I just want one itty bitty thing in mine, I have to go and
create a whole bling bling directory to put one file in it?

$HOME/.openmcl/init.lisp   versus:
$HOME/.openmcl-init.lisp

In the latter case I am free, am I not, to have
$HOME/.openmcl-init.lisp read/load files from $HOME/.openmcl-init/....
(or whatever directory I want)?
It seems that in the simple case there the clutter in my home directory
is the same, either a file or a directory.

Personally, so long as it works, I'll adapt. Personally, I wouldn't
clutter my home dir with auxillary files. I just fail to see either
choice as compelling, so I would opt for simplicity....

I'd also like to second Cyrus' earlier note, wondering what we in the
gallery du peanut can do to prep. for a new release. Sadly my
development environment is hosed, or I could try doing builds... (I
might fix it, but then even I wouldn't hold my breath. ;-) ).

<D\'gou