Fwd: [Openmcl-devel] RFC - init-file and asdf:*central-registry* changes

alex crain alexcrain at mail.widgetworks.com
Thu Feb 17 07:36:53 PST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 10:34 PM, bryan o'connor wrote:

>> The folks at Apple would probably suggest adding files like
>> /Library/OpenMCL/init.lisp
>> and ~/Library/OpenMCL/init.lisp to that list.
>
> or instead:
>   ../Library/Application Support/OpenMCL/init.lisp.
>
> regardless, i think that makes more sense for a mac os x app bundle
> and not the darwin or linux ppc versions.  granted the majority (if
> not all) of darwin users are running mac os x.

Here's another $0.02 ...

I like to imagine that someday soon we will not only have OpenMCL, but
real applications that use OpenMCL as a platform, which means that
someone
might want to install OpenMCL without the source tree in order to run
the application. As much as I love lisp, it is supposed to be a delivery
agent, not an end unto itself.

With that in mind, it suggests that there should be a notion of an
install
target based on the run time components of the system. Something like:

Linux:
     /usr/local/bin/openmcl
     /usr/local/bin/myapplication
     /usr/local/lib/openmcl/...
     /usr/local/share/openmcl....

OS X
     /Applications/OpenMCL
     /Applications/MyApplication
     /Library/ApplicationSupport/OpenMCL

With this in mind, there is going to be a need for a system wide init
file
if only to tell lisp where everything is supposed to live. The location
of
the system init file should probably be OS dependent with an optional
override for when the code lives in a goofy place (like my desktop).

Your Mileage May Vary