[Openmcl-devel] threads and special variables

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Fri Jan 14 05:16:51 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 7:58 PM, Hamilton Link wrote:

> OK, I'll give it a bump in priority. Thanks for the interest.
>
> I don't know anything about CL-SDL. If you look at the rubix example
> in the examples directory in openmcl, you'll see the most
> sophisticated thing I've translated into openmcl from my C++
> experimentation with OpenGL.

My current experience with OpenGL is limited to C (never even seen Open
Inventor) on NT 3.51.  I have old copies of the ARB red and blue books.
  I may get a new copy of the red book.

> Incidentally the books I like on the subject of opengl are Ed Angel's
> latest textbook on computer graphics, and the OpenGL ARB's books for
> the OpenGL Reference Manual and the OpenGL Programmer's Guide.

Is this the book you're talking about?

qid=1105706004/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/103-7830410-3763846?v=glance&s=books

I'll have to think about that.  I'm hoping I can get by with the Apple
provided documentation:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/OpenGL-
date.html

Although I will probably use the local copy I have from installing
Xcode.

> There's also a web site that has a completely elephantine collection
> of OpenGL tutorials and demos, and the tutorials have been translated
> into a number of programming languages (I am copying the dev list on
> this since cocoa+openmcl would be interesting to add, for anyone who
> wants a large graphics-related lisp project to do in their spare
> time). If anyone is interested check out http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Bookmarked!  This should help.

On Jan 13, 2005, at 9:20 PM, Dan Knapp wrote:

>   The last time I looked at CL-SDL, it was working, but all but
> unmaintained.  I've heard that
> the situation has improved, though.  I haven't tried it with Openmcl.
> If you do, David, tell us
> how it goes.

I looked it up here:

http://cl-sdl.sourceforge.net/

It does indeed look old.  I'm not really interested in the libsdl part
either, just OpenGL wrappers.  Maybe I would be better off just using
the OpenMCL FFI.  I don't know yet.  I've gone ahead and downloaded
0.2.2 to have a look at it.

>   The first few Nehe tutorials have been translated to CL-SDL, as
> well, and can be found in
> the CL-SDL distro.  They're probably simple enough that it's just as
> easy to start from the C
> versions, but I mention it in case it's useful to anybody.

I'll take a look at that.

BTW, has anyone done anything along the lines of implementing a CLOS
analog to Open Inventor?