[Openmcl-devel] openmcl quits without backtrace

Joshua Moody moody at ISI.EDU
Thu Jul 28 14:42:43 PDT 2005

I work mostly in MCL, but often I switch to OpenMCL to track down
bugs and/or to note efficiency issues.   I've seen a strange error in
MCL with respect to this form/closure:

(let ((copy-htable (make-hash-table #+Ignore :rehash-size #+Ignore
1.5)))
   (defmethod copy-top-level (ORIGINAL-THING)
     (clrhash COPY-HTABLE)
     (copy-one ORIGINAL-THING COPY-HTABLE)))

This is part of the library that my group uses.  The trouble is that
the copy-htable is getting smashed by something - probably GC.  This
error occurs after ~18 hrs of computation.  So I fired up OpenMCL to
see if I could reproduce the error there.  It takes only 10 minutes
for OpenMCL to crash and it does so without errors or a backtrace -
the process just dies.  I have no idea whether the two problems are
related, but I usually have little (to no) trouble running the
offending code (and other code) in OpenMCL.

Any suggestions on why OpenMCL would crash in such a way?

jjm

MCL Version 5.1b4
OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.3!
Mac OS 10.4.2  Dual G5 2.5 GHz.