[Openmcl-devel] Apple to switch to Intel - what does this portend?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jun 6 06:30:40 PDT 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Richard Newman wrote:

> There was discussion about this last night on #lisp.
>
> Firstly, "switching to Intel" does not necessarily mean switching to x86, so
> it might not be all that bad.
>
> If it does, then it's a bad thing for OpenMCL's internals. Switching to
> targeting x86 is a lot of work that's unlikely to be done.
>
> -R

It's certainly interesting to learn that - if this rumor does indeed
involve switching to x86 - that that work is unlikely do be done.

(It's sometimes hard to convey sarcasm in email, and othertimes it
can be overdone.  I think that I'd rather err on the side of underdoing
it, but I hope that anyone reading the preceding paragraph catches the
tone.)