[Openmcl-devel] More Intel: Rosetta & Universal Binaries

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 10 10:42:33 PDT 2005

--- David Steuber <david at david-steuber.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about this transition Apple is
> making.  I've had a lot of emotion about it.  I had
> been planning at some point to look into OpenMCL's
> LAP to take advantage of PPC special features like
> Altivec.  Now I don't see myself doing that.  I
> would rather just wait for Intel before doing LAP.

Could you leverage the Accelerate.framework instead?
That would (in theory) give you SSE support under
Intel, and AltiVec support under PowerPC without
having to do much manual stuff yourself...

The has been quite a bit of angst and speculation on
the Apple SciTech list <scitech at lists.apple.com> (a
place populated by engineers and scientists who mainly

use FORTRAN).  There is much sadness over the loss of
the AltiVec features of the PowerPC, but some hope
that
Apple is banking on using the 64-bit cores produced by
the legendary Alpha design team (who have been working
on Intel's next generation 64-bit chips for some
time now.)

-Brent