[Openmcl-devel] C-c C-c of a function referencing a large constant takes a long time to compile

Brian Mastenbrook bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
Sat Jun 25 07:25:24 PDT 2005

On Jun 25, 2005, at 1:52 AM, David Steuber wrote:

> Hello slime-devel,
>
> This evening I discovered a nasty annoyance with Slime and OpenMCL
> when doing C-c C-c to compile a function.  The function makes
> reference to a 46x46x46x46 constant array of integers (defined with
> DEFCONSTANT).  Any such function that refers to the array takes
> over a minute to compile with C-c C-c.  If I have openmcl running
> in a terminal, the same function will recompile instantly.  Here
> are a few bits of relevant code and *slime-events*:

Hi David,

You say "If I have openmcl running in a terminal, the same function
will recompile instantly." - what does "recompile" mean? Are you sure
that you're calling COMPILE on it? I remember mentions of bad
performance when compiling constants on openmcl-devel - this could be
my memory playing tricks on me, though.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net