[Openmcl-devel] Brave soul trying to compile from source

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 20 12:49:57 PDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Kevin Y. Kim (Lists) wrote:

> So, I'm trying to compile from the source package,
> openmcl-darwinppc-all-0.14.3.tar.gz
>
> Everything seems to have worked so far based on the info on this page:
> 	http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/ch02s01.html
>
> Except, when I try to do the following...
>
> Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.3!
> ? (require "COMPILE-HEMLOCK")
>> Error in process listener(2): Module COMPILE-HEMLOCK was not provided by
> any function on *MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*.
>> While executing: REQUIRE
>> Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
>
> I can't find any file with "hemlock" in it - so I'm not surprise by this
> error.
> But I probably missed some step.
> Are docs out of date, or am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
> -kevin

The Hemlock stuff is in a separate "bleeding-edge" CVS repository (it's
not -yet- part of the main distribution).

Section 2.5 of the manual refers to section 2.1.4 ("Living On The Edge").

The Hemlock/Cocoa IDE is -maybe- at the point where you can sort of squint
at it and convince yourself that if it wasn't buggy, slow, and incomplete,
it'd be usable.  There's a much simpler demo IDE in the main source tree,
and you'd probably have to squint a lot more to reach the same conclusion;
that's probably a good argument for moving the Hemlock-based IDE into the
main distribution for the next release.  (Decoupling the Cocoa bridge
from the IDE code would also be a good idea.)

As the manual mentions, the unstable/experimental/bleeding-edge CVS tree
is often ... unstable, and it's generally been pretty volatile and
somewhat buggy for the last few weeks.