[Openmcl-devel] h-to-ffi giving kooky results

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Sep 6 21:53:20 PDT 2005

When I run darwin-headers/libc/C/populate.sh on a 10.3.9, I get a single
warning (the scalb() function in /usr/include/math.h has a prototype that
conflicts with a GCC 4.0 compiler intrinsic.)  I'm using the FFIGEN package
from

<ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/ffigen-bin-darwinppc-gcc-4.0.0-2005-05-17-11-45-56.tar.gz>

The older (MUCH older) version of FFIGEN that's on the server is based
on GCC 2.95, and it expects that the installed "gcc" driver is GCC
2.95's (and "gcc -E" invokes gcc 2.95's preprocessor).  If the
installed "gcc" driver belongs to GCC 3.x or later (likely, over the
last few years), I believe that that can lead to errors like those
that you're getting.  (I'm actually surprised that it would work at
all.)  There's a footnote in section 9.7 of the documentation that
explains this issue; as of Tiger (or XCode 2.x), I don't believe that
the suggested workaround would work.