[Openmcl-devel] async signals

David L. Rager ragerdl at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Sep 18 21:31:36 PDT 2005

As an end user of the openmcl threads and unwind-protect features, you
all might be interested in knowing that when using unwind-protect, I
have wanted both cases (for using both within the same function even -
the code is messy, but the result is potentially beautiful):
1. The cleanup form is interruptible
2. The cleanup form is protected from interrupts

Since I want both cases, I think it's best to leave it interruptible,
and I, the user, will continue to wrap a "without-interrupts" around
whatever cleanup forms I don't want interrupted.

The following scenario remains as currently undefined/illdefined in my
mind (openmcl may address this concern):

(defun foo ()
  (unwind-protect
    (something-fun)
    (without-interrupts
      (something-I-want-done))))

1. Enter the cleanup part of foo's unwind-protect
2. Get interrupted and told to die right before whatever
without-interrupts expands to is entered
3. something-I-want-done will never run now, because it was able to
receive the interrupt

While unlikely, from a safety perspective, it might be nice to have an
"unwind-protect-disable-interrupts-during-cleanup" construct. I'll be
curious to hear if OpenMCL addresses this issue, or if they decided it
was so unlikely it wasn't worth spending valuable time on.

Threaded LISP is great,
David