[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL 1.0-rc1

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Sep 25 10:57:36 PDT 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, bryan o'connor wrote:

>> OpenMCL's *features* still contains :MCL and :MCL-COMMON-MOP-SUBSET.
>
> removing :mcl would require some coordination with other
> projects.  there are still some that only use :mcl to
> refer to openmcl.  if Gary decides to remove it, it would
> be good to get all those changed first.
>
> the pro side is that it'll clean up all the places where
> developers have had to use #+(and :mcl (not :openmcl))
>
> also, what about :coral and ccl-[234].  i had always
> thought that ccl-[234] were used during bootstrapping,
> but i guess they might also be version indicators.
>
>    ...bryan

:CORAL is almost a private joke (so private that no one gets it.)
It's actually still used in some old-but-occasionally-useful code
(MK-DEFSYSTEM), but I wouldn't be surprised if all such uses were
inappropriate for OpenMCL and if many were inappropriate for MCL as
well.

:CCL-[234] were used to select functionality introduced in MCL
2.0, 3.0, and 4.0; they were intended to be used in user code
as well as the implementation, but they're probably not too
relevant to MCL anymore and never were too relevant to OpenMCL.