[Openmcl-devel] Missing header(s) for OpenGL FFI?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Aug 12 10:09:12 PDT 2006

The error message basically means that the last few attempts to signal
an error themselves resulted in errors.  There are a number of things
that can cause this (e.g.,  redefining some class/method/function that's
basic part of the lisp runtime); if there's enough of the error system
there for it to notice that it's not making progress, that -usually-
implies that thing aren't hosed at a deeper level.  Without seeing a
backtrace (if things are un-hosed enough to make that possible), I
can't really guess what the original error would have been or why
attempts to signal it generate further errors.

I would be surprised if any of this had anything to do with incompatibities
between the lisp and a set of interfaces.  The format of the information
in the .cdb files hasn't changed since before 1.0; the lisp runtime
depend on a fairly small subset of the stuff in the standard C library
(file I/O, exception context information, some math library functions, not
much else) and most of that stuff is pretty stable between OS releases
(since thousands of other programs depend on the same things.)  If there
-were- changes in those interfaces, they'd be more likely to cause
problems when the lisp itself was being compiled than at runtime.

I might be mistaken about some or all of this, but I think that the
first thing that needs to be done is to try to either see a backtrace
from the point where you get the "error reporting error" or, if that's
not possible, to see what I'd need to do to reproduce the problem.