[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Aug 13 16:08:03 PDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Andrew Shalit wrote:

> OK, it looks like we have the following versions of OpenMCL:
>
> -- LinuxPPC 32-bit -- available as version 1.0.
> -- Linux x86-64 -- not available in a public distribution but almost done?

There's also a Linux ppc64 version that wasn't ready as of 1.0 but should
be available in the next release.

> -- DarwinPPC/MacOS X 32-bit -- available as version 1.0.
> -- DarwinPPC/MacOS X 64-bit -- available as version 1.0.
>
> In addition, you're hoping that the port to Darwinx8664 will be relatively
> straightforward (knock on wood).

I ordered a Mac Pro; it's supposed to arrive Tuesday.

If a few low-level things are straightforward (would really like a way
to make an otherwise unused segment register point at per-thread data,
the C calling sequence for x86-64 Darwin -looks- to be similar to the
Linux x86-64 ABI but doesn't seem to be documented yet, etc.), then I'd
hope that the higher-level parts to be straightforward.  (Famous last
words.)

> Do you have a sense of which versions are currently getting used the most?

I believe that about 80-90% of the downloads are of tthe 32-bit
DarwinPPC version; I'm not sure how that translates to use.

> How about which versions are paying customers most interested in?

Paying customers ?  We have paying customers ?  Why am I always the
last to know ?

> Is it still the case that the Darwin/MacOS X versions haven't been run under
> Darwin?

I've never run anything under Darwin proper and have never heard of
anyone who has.

> Lastly, is the following documentation still accurate?

I believe so.