[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL Versions

Phil pbpublist at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 14:01:07 PDT 2006

Any language/application that includes its own compiler (i.e.
OpenMCL) can't take advantage of the 'little checkbox'/ifdefs that
other apps can.  They must to write the behind the scenes code to
make the checkbox/ifdefs possible.  It's a tough situation as it's
bad enough that there was one architecture switch, but now we're on
the second in less than a year (I've always bought the rumor that
Apple never wanted IA32 but had to use it from a product timing
standpoint.)  I'm sure the Lispworks guys aren't any happier... they
just got their IA32 product out the door a couple of weeks before WWDC.

The first generation of Intel machines has me experiencing a bit of
deja vu as I seem to recall the first generation of PPC machines were
rather quickly not capable of running later software releases due to
differences/limitations between the 601 processors and it's
successors.  It will likely not be to the same degree, but does seem
like the same type situation.