[Openmcl-devel] Invalid CDB Files?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Dec 21 00:12:47 PST 2006

I got stuck at some point a few weeks ago and haven't gotten back
to it.

At least in theory, it'd be easier to get the ffi translator working
on ppc64 (where there's at least a branch in the gcc svn tree that
supports both ObjC 2.x and ppc64 under Darwin) than on x86-64 (where
it seems like merging a few branches would be necessary in order to
get both ObjC 2.x support and 64-bit support under Darwin.) Doing that
would also expose some 32-bit-isms in the bridge and would also expose
any ObjC 2.0 issues that might arise.  I imagine, though, that there's
more interest in the long term in x86-64 support than in ppc64 support.

If anyone knows how to get one's hands on the source to - oh, let's
say Apple version 5427 or so of - GCC, please let me know.  (That
shouldn't be difficult, of course, since GCC is GPL'ed and anyone
distibuting it has make those sources publicly available, right ?)

The current FFIGEN "sources" are basically a Makefile and a set
of patches relative to gcc-4.0.0 (and gcc-objc-4.0.0).  If I get
something working under x86-64 Darwin, I presumably have to distribute
a set of patches to merge the 64-bit support available in some
public GCC source trees/archives with the ObjC 2.x support that
currently only seems to be available in a Apple branch of the
GCC svn tree, as well as the (slightly modified) set of patches
which enable .ffi generation.  I'd rather do this once (for both
Darwin ppc64 and x86-64) than twice.