[Openmcl-devel] Problems with asdf-install

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jan 2 17:39:53 PST 2006

When you get thrown into the kernel debugger, what does the backtrace
look like ? (As a wild guess, I wonder if anything's trying to do
I/O to a defunct stream early in the startup process.  That would
error, try to print an error message on a defunct stream, error,
try to print a message on a defunct stream ... and getting thrown
into the kernel debugger after this goes on for a while is arguably
slightly better than stack-overflowing in relative silence.)  Whether
it's because of what I'm calling a defunct stream or for some other
reason, the "error reporting error" message generally means that
the error system has concluded that something is very, very wrong.

I don't use Slime, and may be misrembering and/or misunderstanding
what I remember about it, but I wonder what it does when sets up the
standard streams (*TERMINAL-IO*, etc.) for the thread that it creates
and how pervasive that is.  I don't know whether even the vague
suspicion/nervousness I'm expressing about that is at all justified;
it's probably a good idea to first see if this is a "defunct stream"
issue or something else entirely.