[Openmcl-devel] newbie getting started with Cocoa bridge

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jan 24 17:34:35 PST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Brent Fulgham wrote:

>> The stuff that gets compiled is mostly the
>> Hemlock-based editor backend.
>> You can compile that separately via:
>>
>> ? (require "COMPILE-HEMLOCK")
>>
>> ? (ccl::compile-hemlock t)
>>

>> or (equivalently)
>>
>> ? (require "HEMLOCK")
>
> Great.  Does that invoke the Cocoa listener?  My
> earlier
> attempt at would cause the Cocoa environment to come
> up,
> so my script:
>
> openmcl -b -n -e "(require 'Cocoa) (quit)"
>
> Would never reach the (quit).

No; I think that you'll get warnings about some forward-referenced
Cocoa functions/methods, but it doesn't load the bridge or start
the GUI.

OTOH, doing (REQUIRE "COCOA") does a (REQUIRE "HEMLOCK"), and that'll
go a lot faster if there's a "hemlock.dfsl" where REQUIRE can find it.

>> Another approach (if you want to distribute
>> something installable) is to use Bosco or the
>> "cocoa-application" example's
>> idea to distribute a bundled .app.
>
> Eventually!
>
> Speaking of which, the existing Bosco links were all
> dead
> as of a week or so ago (including Mikel's home page).
>
> I grabbed tarballs from the Google archive, but we
> might
> need to come up with a place to keep this stuff if
> Mikel's
> not available to host it.

If you could mail me the latest tarball you can find,
I'll put it on clozure.com.

(Maybe it should go into CVS, or on common-lisp.net ?)

Mikel's name came up in a phone meeting last week; he's
apparently still (slowly) recovering from a serious
illness and still has to take it pretty easy.