[Openmcl-devel] slow read-char

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jul 20 11:47:39 PDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Gail Zacharias wrote:

> At 7/20/2006 06:15 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
>> The good news is that I was able to get about a 3X speedup of a test
>> case that READ-CHARs 2M characters from a file by making things like
>> OPEN and MAKE-SOCKET accept a :PRIVATE argument (which effectively
>> makes the resulting stream permanently locked by the calling thread
>> and eliminates the per-character locking overhead);
>
> Does it actually prevent the stream from being used by other threads?
> It would be useful to have streams that are usable in multiple threads
> but just assume that locking happens at a higher level.

I had thought that - assuming that there's a cheap way of "transferring
ownership" of a stream - that any sort of higher-level locking protocol
would/could just do that transfer as a fairly small step. but I'm
not sure that that's true.  (It might be a small step, but it might
also be an awkward one; once a thread has won the right to access the
stream via that higher-level protocol, it might be difficult for it to
try to cajole the previous owner into giving up some additional token.)

So yes, you should have enough rope to be able to create a stream
that depends on external locking mechanisms.  (I think that it's
also desirable to distinguish between being persistenly locked/owned
for reading and for writing in the case of an I/O stream, and last
night's checkin doesn't address that yet, either.)

So there are at least three cases that we've identified so far:

1) something that uses ad-hoc safe-but-slow locking around every
    transaction, i.e., the status quo.

2) something which in practice will only be used by one (or in
    the I/O case, two) thread(s) and for which the concept of
    long-term or permanant ownership makes sense as a simple
    exclusion mechanism/sanity check.

3) something which uses external exclusion mechanisms (possibly
    including luck and/or abstinence)

Right now, every transaction decides (at runtime) whether case (2) or
(1) applies.  That's kind of silly, and it'd likely be better to
decide which case applies at stream-creation time and arrange to have
the stream's I/O primitives handle that case only.  I can't think
of a case where it'd be desirable for that to change over the lifetime
of a stream.