[Openmcl-devel] slow read-char

Erik Pearson erik at adaptations.com
Wed Jul 26 12:28:40 PDT 2006

Hi Gary,

It looks like, as predicted, cvs bleeding is busted -- even using the
new test image.

compile-ccl gets to

;Compiling "/usr/local/ccl/ccl/lib/pathnames.lisp"...
Read error between positions 0 and 726 in /usr/local/ccl/ccl/lib/
pathnames.lisp.
 > Error: Unknown type specifier: BASIC-STREAM
 > While executing: %%TYPEP, in process listener(1).

and then dies, leaving the REPL in a sad unusable state.

Dare I guess this is a boostrapping issue? Some of the stream code
has already been loaded that requires BASIC-STREAM, but basic stream
hasn't been loaded yet, or incompatible streams have already been
created, or something like that? Is this a matter of magically
creating a compatible image, or can it be solved by changing the
build procedure, or is such an outlier case (messing with system
fundamentals) that you'd rather just special-case it? I would hope
that rebuild-ccl (thanks for that!) would be able to handle
reconstructing the system from pieces. Perhaps a very primitive lisp
that doesn't rely on high(er) level functionality (single-threaded,
just reads bytes, etc.) could be invoked to rebuild the system, even
from the Unix command line? But what the bleep do I know.

Erik.