[Openmcl-devel] OpenGL and threading

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Jun 9 17:14:10 PDT 2006

This is more of a stab in the dark than a suggested workaround, but
the stab worked a few weeks ago and seems worth another try ...

OpenGL contexts are bound per-thread; if a given thread hasn't
established a context (via some Cocoa/AGL/GLUT mechanism), then
any OpenGL call made in that thread that requires a GL context
will crash and burn (and segfault.)

I -think- (and I'd have to read the docs and double-check) that
GL is otherwise not thread-safe in and of itself; that if you
did something like:

? (process-run-function "background GL thread"
      #'(lambda () (setup-opengl-context ...) (some-sort-of-event-loop)))

and also did (in a listener):

? (setup-opengl-context (same-context-as-background-thread))

that you'd have to provide your own locking/synchronization mechanisms
- or depend on luck - to avoid problems.

(It would be good if I was mistaken about that.)