[Openmcl-devel] warning for apply

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jun 14 14:49:43 PDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Joshua Moody wrote:

> I receive this warning in OpenMCL 1.1-pre-060608
>
> ;   Function call arguments don't match current definition of
> CCL::APPLY+, in
> ; (ITEM-AT! (ARRAY T)).
>
> when compiling this method:
>
> (defmethod item-at! ((array array) value &rest indexes)
>   (declare (dynamic-extent indexes))
>   (setf (apply #'aref array indexes) value))
>
> which is from Gary King's/EKSL's containers library.
>
> I don't see this warning in ACL 8.0, Lispworks Personal, or in MCL.
>
> Thoughts?

The reasons for the warning are pretty obscure[1], but you shouldn't
get a warning in this case; it's fixed in the pre-1.1 CVS tree.

---
[1] The function that the warning refers to - CCL::APPLY+ - juggles
its arguments around in order to make (SETF (APPLY something ...))
work.  It's written in assembler and takes an indefinite number of
arguments, and there's no good syntax for things that're written
in assembler to express the fact that they take anything but a fixed
number of arguments (though from the somewhat bizarre way in which
CCL::APPLY+ defined, it seems possible that there once might have been ...)