[Openmcl-devel] addenda RE: non-consing short float trap parameters

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Mar 8 02:09:08 PST 2006

A value in a PPC floating-point register is maintained as a 64-bit
double float (regardless of how it got there, e.g., whether it
was loaded from a 32-bit or a 64-bit memory location or whether it's
the result of a single- or double-precision arithmetic operation.)
Valid values that are loaded as IEEE single floats (or which are
the results of single-precision arithmetic operations) will have
exponents in the IEEE single float range and will not have as
much precision in their mantissas as will valid values loaded
as IEEE double-floats or the results of double-precision operations.

For example:

? (defppclapfunction foo ((x arg_y) (y arg_z))
   (get-single-float fp1 x)
   (get-double-float fp2 y)
   (bkpt)
   (blr))
FOO
? (foo 0.1 0.1d0)
Lisp Breakpoint
  While executing: #<Function FOO #x0000000104b81bfc>
? for help
[460] OpenMCL kernel debugger: f
f00 : 0x3FF0000000000000 (1.000000)
f01 : 0x3FB99999A0000000 (0.100000)
f02 : 0x3FB999999999999A (0.100000)

Floating-point registers f1 and f2 both contain 64-bit values that
approximate 0.1; the value (f1) that was loaded as a single float is a
much less precise approximation of 0.1 than the value that had been
produced/maintained as a "true" double-float is.

In general, you can't just "look at" a value in a PPC FPR and reliably
know whether it represents an IEEE single or double; in particular,
a C function can't reliably know this about any of its incoming FP
arguments, and the C convention on OSX states that the first 13 FP
arguments to a function are passed in FPRs.

A C function and does declare how it intends to use its floating-point
arguments, especially the magnitude and precision that it expects them
to have.  I think that it's therefore at least slightly better for an
FFI to be anal-retentive about insisting that FP args are of the
right type than it would be to be casual/sloppy about that, the
argument being that it's better to get a lisp error at FF-CALL
time than it would be to get mysterious misbehavior because the
C function's expectations were violated.  (The counterargument
might be that it often doesn't matter that much and that it's
better to silently do the mostly-right thing than it is to be
finicky for potentially obscure reasons.)

I would not expect the nature of existing PPC floating point hardware
to change significantly in the future, though I could imagine that the
Cell and future PPC variants might offer additional ways of doing
floating-point (in the same sense that AltiVec has.)  I'd be equally
surprised if Apple decided to change their PPC ABI and (for instance)
pass all FP arguments in memory.