[Openmcl-devel] Managing multi-threaded access to list

David L. Rager ragerdl at cs.utexas.edu
Sun May 28 17:36:33 PDT 2006

Howdy Joseph,

Great!

The easiest way to know how many consumers are waiting would be to just keep
track of a count in a lock-guarded and shared variable, say
*waiting-consumer-count*.  Then signal the semaphore that many times.

Another idea is to create a *maximum-consumer-count*, never create more
consumers than that, and signal the semaphore that many times.  I think
Darwin PPC limitations are around 300 threads.  My application targets 100
threads or so.  At some point, I had a target of 200, and that was generally
stable, but I lowered it for some reason.

Using timed-wait-on-semaphore could introduce a race condition
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition).  If you use
timed-wait-on-semaphore, you'll have to use something called a
semaphore-notification-object.  Here's an example:

(defvar *consumers-stay-alive* t)

(let ((SNO (ccl:make-semaphore-notification))
  (loop while *consumers-stay-alive*
    (progn (ccl:clear-semaphore-notification-status SNO)
           (timed-wait-on-semaphore *packet-list-semaphore* SNO)
           (when (ccl:semaphore-notification-status SNO)
                 (consume-packet-no-hang)))))

Timed waiting on a semaphore in OpenMCL has a small downside, in that it
shows up as [active] when you type :proc into the prompt.  I think this
affects garbage collection somehow, but it's almost certainly irrelevant to
your project.  On the upside, you get safety properties!!!  I understand
this feature to be unique to OpenMCL.

I don't remember which version of OpenMCL has the
semaphore-notification-objects.  I think 1.0 does, but if not, try the
latest CVS bleeding edge sources.  They seem to be reasonably stable on
Darwin PPC as of an hour ago.

David