[Openmcl-devel] Invalid CDB Files?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Nov 1 00:00:05 PST 2006

Apple hasn't supported 64-bit versions of Carbon or Cocoa (or many other
things) in any version of Tiger.  (Even if you were able to parse the
headers, you'd find that 64-bit shared libraries don't exist.)

That support (for both ppc64 and x86-64) is an announced feature of
Leopard.

(I have, coincidentally, been working on this lately.  If/when things
reach some level of usability, it'd be good if there was some way of
(a) making Leopard .cdb files available to Leopard beta testers and
(b) doing (a) in a way that doesn't violate the letter/spirit of
     applicable NDAs.)

Even some simple UI toolkits (GLUT comes to mind) use Cocoa on OSX.
so it seems like the most viable options for doing any kind of GUI
programming on ppc64/Tiger involve CLX and things that depend on
it (the CLX McCLIM backend, etc.)