[Openmcl-devel] Foreign Function Questions

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 25 10:29:14 PST 2006

Gary,

Thanks for that (as always) very detailed explanation.  In looking
over the various incomplete OpenGL offerings, most of them make use
of the UFFI to bind to either SDL or OpenGL.  I'm not sure if it
would be better to attempt to port one of these libraries over to
OpenMCL, or to make use of the native bindings.  Since I prefer
OpenMCL's close integration with the Aqua and Objective C bindings, I
would prefer a similar binding for OpenGL.  So perhaps the effort is
worth it.

The current binding is a thin interface to the underlying C api.  It
might make sense to provide a Lisp-level library with some
convenience functions to make interacting with the C core a bit
easier.  Your function to produce the stack-based raw data for the C
call would be a good candidate for this, as would the "opengl:with-
matrix-mode" macro in the example OpenGL that comes with OpenMCL.

I'll see if I can write a few simple helper functions/macros to make
these steps easier.

Thanks,

-Brent