[Openmcl-devel] Thread problem/question

Phil pbpublist at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 20:42:31 PDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:14 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> There's a general overview of how threads and special variables
> interact in
>
> <http://clozure.com/mailman/htdig/openmcl-devel/2005-January/
> 002374.html>
>
> I'm not sure if that'd be helpful in this case.

Good reading at least ;-)

> One obvious (in hindsight) question to ask is whether there are
> different symbols named FOO in different packages.  E.g., if
>
> ? (FIND-ALL-SYMBOLS "FOO")
>
> returns a list containing more than one symbol, it's possible (maybe
> likely) that different threads/buffers have different bindings of
> *PACKAGE* and therefore the unqualified references to FOO refer
> to different symbols.
>
> If that doesn't explain what you're seeing, I'm not sure what would;
> it sounds unlikely that dynamic binding is having any effect.

Yes, that's the right track...

> You could also try evaluating the form *PACKAGE* in a buffer and in
> the REPL, to see if you get different results.

DOH!  That's it... I didn't think to check the package as I hadn't
explicitly switched to anything other than CL-USER.  Apparently,
something (SLIME or my setup code) is dropping non-repl threads into
other packages.  Should be easy enough to track down now that I know
what I'm looking for.

Thanks very much,
Phil