[Openmcl-devel] Getting started with Lisp

Joe Chan firstian at rcn.com
Fri Sep 22 19:13:46 PDT 2006

I just started learning Lisp using OpenMCL, and I'm looking for
pointers to documentation/tutorial about some non-coding related
development issues in Lisp. By that I mean the following:

1. How the various options in the OpenMCL break works. I usually just
type code directly into the ? prompt, and when something goes wrong,
it goes into the > prompt, and I have no idea how to interpret all
those #<RESTART ABORT-BREAK #x294626>, etc. lines. I looked at the
OpenMCL doc, and it seems to cater to seasoned Lisp users and
describes the various APIs.

2. Once I get into the break, it seems I can easily pick restart
options to get completely stuck (e.g., picking "Reset this process"
invariably cause me to lose the ? prompt forever, and I have to kill
the process).

3. How to load source files into OpenMCL. I tried loading the
examples using (require "blah") and some of them worked. But when I
load my own file, I get error like:

 > Error in process listener(1): Module test was not provided by any
function on *MODULE-PROVIDER-FUNCTIONS*.
 > While executing: REQUIRE

It seems like it's not finding the file, even if I specify the full
path.

3. May be once I figure out how to do (2), this will be obvious, but
what about building applications with multiple source files? I don't
suppose I use make some how? How do I build an executable that can
just be run?

I come from C/C++ background, tinkered with Python, Ruby, etc., so I
don't find the language itself to be so hard to learn at this point,
but not knowing how to use the tools properly is really getting in my
way of learning Lisp. I suppose being a Vim user doesn't help either :).

Any pointers are welcome.

Joe Chan
firstian at rcn.com