[Openmcl-devel] how many angels can dance on a unicode character?

Takehiko Abe keke at gol.com
Tue Apr 24 22:37:39 PDT 2007

Hamilton Link wrote:

> I don't understand your statement about not being sure why you care,
> maybe I missed something.
>
> I thought this thread started (more or less) because someone wanted
> UTF-16 as lisp's string representation

Who is that bastard?? ... oh ouch. That was me. I regret I started
this.

> with the rationale that talking
> to the outside world (many libraries of which use UTF-16) would be
> easier.

The FFI concern is secondary. The primary one is space.
Now, if I can hold the portion of text data expected to be
large as u16 array, the space concern will be gone. I don't
know how painful it would be. I have to think about it.

regards,
T.