[Openmcl-devel] asdf location

Rudi Schlatte rudi at constantly.at
Wed Dec 5 23:39:29 PST 2007

Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> writes:

> By convention, application-specific data is often kept in a subdirectory
> of a directory whose name (in English) is "/Library/Application Support/"
> or "~/Library/Application Support".  (Apple seems to frown on the idea
> of using these directories for "user data", and it seems like the
> private/per-user ASDF directory should be somewhere in the user's
> home directory.)

I personally frown on that idea as well - Microsoft Office
v.somethingold dumped a "Microsoft Userdata" folder into my Documents
folder, containing such delicacies as "Entourage Menuitems" and what
seem to be cache directories, and I don't know what I can safely
delete from there.  If something stops working if a user moves /
deletes / doubleclicks a file below ~/Documents, don't put it there.

[...]

> Before I get everyone (more) confused with this rambling, let me go
> back to the first part of my question: would  there be an advantage
> to having the lisp set up ASDF's central repository so that it
> included one or more directories by default, or is it better to
> leave this sort of customization to the user's init file ?

I think a reasonable default value (~/Library/Application Support/...
would be fine) will save you from answering approximately one email
per week asking nebulous questions about asdf usage. :-)

Rudi