[Openmcl-devel] asdf location

Lawrence E. Bakst ml at iridescent.org
Mon Dec 10 20:49:14 UTC 2007


I think /Library and ~/Library are really two of the biggest blunders Apple has made. They should be used sparingly.

It used to be that all information for an app was stored in the same directory as the app. That meant you could move an app from one place to another with drag and drop. In many cases now you can't, because associated data is someplace else. "Now matters are worse."

/Library is especially painful because if you install a new OS from scratch you loose it. I try as hard as today's installers will let me, to at least put as much as I can in ~/Applications and ~/Library.

My preference would be to have an adsf folder in the ccl directory and to set that preference in an .init file.

That way I can move the ccl folder and it everything I need comes with it. It also let's me keep old versions of ccl (I have many) with the code that goes with that version. Something else you loose with the /Library and !/Library approach. This is probably the biggest reason NOT to use /Library or ~/Library.

At 9:04 PM -0800 12/5/07, Cyrus Harmon wrote:
>It would seem to me that looking in "/Library/CCL/ASDF Systems/" and 
>"~/Library/CCL/ASDF Systems/" for ASDF's central registry would be the 
>"mac-y" way to do things.

There is no reason to blindly follow some Apple convention or "way", especially if it's not well thought out.

The bug referenced here:
At 7:05 PM -0700 12/5/07, Gary Byers wrote:
>At the very least, the "standard" way - requiring ASDF and setting its
>central registry to whatever you want in ~/ccl-init.lisp (nee
>~/openmcl-init.lisp) doesn't work, because the IDE doesn't load the
>standard init file.  (It should.  See
><http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/ticket/208>.)

seems to be gone, does that mean it's fixed?

BTW, I still live in a partitioned world, of at least 3 partitions. One for the current OS, one for a beta OS, and one for the rest of my stuff. My home directory isn't on one of the two OS partitions, it's where the rest of the stuff is. This is how many of Apple's own developers are set up.

leb


At 9:04 PM -0800 12/5/07, Cyrus Harmon wrote:
>It would seem to me that looking in "/Library/CCL/ASDF Systems/" and 
>"~/Library/CCL/ASDF Systems/" for ASDF's central registry would be the 
>"mac-y" way to do things.
>
>Cyrus
>
>On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:05 PM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
>> No, there isn't.
>>
>> At the very least, the "standard" way - requiring ASDF and setting its
>> central registry to whatever you want in ~/ccl-init.lisp (nee
>> ~/openmcl-init.lisp) doesn't work, because the IDE doesn't load the
>> standard init file.  (It should.  See <http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/ticket/208
>> >.)
>>
>> While we're on the subject: should CCL/OpenMCL initialize ASDF's
>> central registry in some standard way ?  If so, what would people
>> who use ASDF prefer ?
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Cyrus Harmon wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously there are a million ways to do this, but is there an
>>> idiomatic, preferred way place for .asd files and getting that place
>>> into asdf:*central-registry* with the new CCL IDE?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Cyrus
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Openmcl-devel mailing list
>>> Openmcl-devel at clozure.com
>>> http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/openmcl-devel
>>>
>>>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Openmcl-devel mailing list
>Openmcl-devel at clozure.com
>http://clozure.com/mailman/listinfo/openmcl-devel





More information about the Openmcl-devel mailing list