[Openmcl-devel] New (070722) snapshots available

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Mon Jul 23 11:21:33 PDT 2007

On 2007-07-23 08:37:11 +0200, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> said:

> New self-contained snapshot tar archives are available in
> <ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing> for ppc32/ppc64 Darwin,
> ppc32/ppc64 Linux, and x86-64 on Darwin, Linux, and FreeBSD.
>
> We obviously need to figure out some way whereby people who
> are able to run this under Leopard can discuss Leopard-specific
> issues (and get Leopard-specific interfaces, etc.) without
> violating NDAs.
>
> People who try to run the ppc64 version of OpenMCL on the WWDC 07
> Leopard release might really, really want to say something.  (Sort of
> like when you drop something heavy on your foot, but don't want to
> wake a nearby sleeping infant by screaming.)  I don't want to claim
> that I feel your pain, so let's just say that I hear your screams
> (silent though they may be) and, more importantly, so does Apple.

cool stuff!

> - On a cheerier (and certainly less confusing) note: for the last few
>    years, OpenMCL has shipped with an extended example which provides an
>    integrated development environment (IDE) based on Cocoa; that's often
>    been described as "the demo IDE" and could also be fairly described as
>    "slow", "buggy", "incomplete", and "little more than a proof of
>    concept."
>
>    I think that it's fair to describe the current state of the IDE as
>    being "less slow", "less buggy", "less incomplete", and "much more
>    than a proof of concept" than it has been (e.g., there's been some
>    actual progress over the last few months and there are plans to
>    try to continue working on the IDE and related tools.)  It'd probably
>    be optimistic to call it "usable" in its current state (that may
>    depend on how low one's threshold of usability is), but I hope that
>    people who've been discouraged by the lack of IDE progress over the
>    last few years will see reason to be encouraged (and that anyone
>    interested will submit bug reports, patches, feature requests, code ...)

I could only try to use it with my old PPC iMac G5.

But I really want to see how it looks like under Leopard on a 64bit
Intel machine. ;-)

I have high hopes that OpenMCL will be the first free 64bit Lisp with a native
Cocoa development environment. There is so much now in 10.5 that
waits to be used for the IDE. ;-)

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/