[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL and Obj-C 2.0?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue May 1 16:46:15 PDT 2007

It's obviously desirable that the lisp and ObjC GCs interact.

Actually getting them to do so depends on ... details.  I would
certainly like to know more details of the ObjC 2.0 GC's
implementation than I do, and hope that those details will be
made public.

I believe that it is public knowledge that retain and release
will become no-ops when the ObjC GC is enabled.

It's also the case that the lisp should implement

(setf (slot-value objc-object 'id-valued-slot) some-new-object)

in a GC-safe way on ObjC 2.0.  (That's a necessary part of keeping
the ObjC GC happy, but there's much more to it than that.)