[Openmcl-devel] cross-compiling for ia32

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Thu Nov 8 18:53:53 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Greg Pfeil wrote:

> I figured I’d poke around with the ia32 branch of CCL, and started
> trying to get a cross-compiler going, using the docs here: http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/wiki/PortToIA-32#Bootstrappingnotes
>
> It took me way too long to realize that the problem I’m having is
> not because the docs are wrong, but because they assume I’m building
> on an x86-64 machine. I only have PPC and x86-32 on hand.
>
> So, is there any way for me to go about building a cross-compiler
> for x86-32 on PPC, or do I need to buy a new laptop in order to port
> CCL to my old laptop?

Well, that's a good question.  In principle, it should be possible,
but I've never put together all the steps needed to make it work.
I've only ever used an x86-64 host, as you surmised.  That's partly
because my nicest hardware is an x86-64 system, but also because I
figured that it might make things a little easier to host on a similar
architecture.