[Openmcl-devel] Is this a bug in let/let*?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Oct 23 17:43:53 PDT 2007

It's the same bug as:

<http://www.clozure.com/pipermail/bug-openmcl/2007-October/000515.html>

I think that it was first reported last spring, fixed, apparently broken
again, fixed around the time of the bug report above, broken by excessive
zeal in "fixing" a similar case that wasn't wrong, then fixed again.
AFAICT, it's fixed in CVS/svn at the moment.

The case that fails has to do with the fact that that devolves into (>
3 0), but that isn't apparent until most attempts at constant-folding
have tried and failed; the x86-64 backend didn't notice that both
operands to > were constants, and in trying to tranlate "compare value
of expression to constant" to "compare constant to value" thought that
it had turn:

(> exp 0)

into

(< 0 exp)

It didn't account for the possibility of "exp" also being constant-valued,
so the > was turned into a < incorrectly.