[Openmcl-devel] Three questions

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Fri Feb 8 19:52:20 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 5:34 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
>
>> 1.  Is there a way to tell when a window has been closed?
>
> I only know of the usual Cocoa/Objective-C ways:
>   * register to receive NSWindowWillCloseNotification
>   * implement windowWillClose: in the window's delegate

This is a good example of the kind of thing that I think works better
in MCL, which builds a clean Lisp layer on top of the native Mac OS
libraries, rather than just providing a thin Lisp interface for
directly programming the Mac OS libraries.

Behaviors like the one Matthew describes should be defined by
default.  There's no reason to require each CCL programmer to reinvent
this wheel, and there's no reason programmers should have to keep
track of things by hand that can be tracked automatically.  If we
wanted to keep track of things by hand, we wouldn't be programming in
Lisp.

I hope that as we continue to work on the CCL Cocoa libraries, they
can become a little bit thicker, and take care of these sorts of
things themselves.