[Openmcl-devel] Openmcl/SLIME problem

Neil Baylis neil.baylis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:28:33 PST 2008

Hi,
I posted this question on c.l.l and slime-devel, and they suggested I
re-post it here.

I run into a problem when running SLIME with Clozure Common Lisp (a.k.a.
openmcl).

When I call a function with the wrong number of args, the error message is
unhelpful. When I do the same running openmcl directly (not via SLIME) it
works correctly. Here's a transcript:

; SLIME 2008-02-25
CL-USER> (defun foo (a b) (+ a b))
FOO
CL-USER> (foo 4 5)
9
CL-USER> (foo 3)
> Error: value -2 is not of the expected type UNSIGNED-BYTE.
> While executing: NBUTLAST, in process repl-thread(5).
> Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
1> :pop
; Evaluation aborted.
CL-USER> (foo 3 4 5)

> Error: value -2 is not of the expected type UNSIGNED-BYTE.
> While executing: NBUTLAST, in process repl-thread(5).
> Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
1> :pop
; Evaluation aborted.
CL-USER>

This is running under Aquamacs 1.3, but it did the same under 1.2. I
refreshed the SLIME inside Aquamacs from cvs about 30 minutes before I tried
this example.

My openmcl is:

  Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.1-r8468 (DarwinPPC32)!

Is there something I need to configure to make this work? Or is this a known
problem?

Thanks,

Neil Baylis