[Openmcl-devel] Solaris x86-64 and %gs

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jan 7 11:24:30 PST 2008

I installed a recent OpenSolaris build over the weekend, so I might
be able to answer this sort of thing by peeking at Solaris man pages/
headers/small code snippets ...

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Chris Curtis wrote:

> (Replying to myself with some additional info...)
>
> From looking at lisp-kernel/thread-manager.c, it looks like
> setup_tcr_extra_segment doesn't ever get called unless both HAVE_TLS
> and X8664 are defined (in new_tcr), which may or may not be the case
> for Solaris. So on the one hand, it looks like it *should* be possible
> to run without HAVE_TLS and just get the tcr chain calloc'd. Is this
> code path actually valid on any current platforms?

The tcr gets calloc'ed on Darwin.

There may be some additional Darwin-specific nonsense having to do
with the fact that the TCR's address is used as a Mach exeption
port identifier, which means/meant that it has to fit in 32 bits.)

There's a separate issue related to how we get %gs to point to the
tcr in each thread; we may have to allocate a segment descriptor
(if there's a way to do that) and make %gs point to it, or we
may be able to find something like the Linux/FreeBSD functions
that do that at a higher level.  The message that Matt cited
made it sound like someone involved in Solaris development
wanted to provide some simple way of doing this, but as Matt
noted it wasn't clear if/how this was to be exposed to the
user.

Since it's a little simpler to let the toolchain/runtime
deal with thread-local-storage than it is to call the
pthread library functions, it seems simplest to define HAVE_TLS.
(A few months ago when trying to track down a bug which seemed
to cause tls problems on Linux, we built a Linux version with
HAVE_TLS disabled.  As I recall, that meant that we had to
make a few slight changes to ensure that the %gs register
was set even if HAVE_TLS was unset: they really are separate
issues, but it's (incidentally) the case that "there's a reasonable
way to get %gs to point to the tcr" whenever HAVE_TLS is true.
As it turned out, the bug caused similar problems whether the
runtime was managing TLS or we were ...)

> OTOH, all the asm macros refer to %rcontext (= %gs) so that doesn't
> seem quite likely.

In lisp, most code should refer to it as :rcontext, and references to
:rcontext should look up the actual register in the target backend
structure.  (This was intended to allow us to use %fs for the TCR
on Darwin, which uses %gs for threads data ... there didn't seem
to be a way of doing that on x86-64, so we wound up overloading
%gs instead.)  It seems that Solaris follows the standard ABI, so
we just need to figure out how.

If we did have to make rcontext be something other than %gs (e.g.,
%fs), then on the kernel side we'd have to define it conditionally
in a couple of places ...

BTW, another Solaris issue (it'd be good to get to the point where
this is the big issue) has to do with GCC versions: some versions
of GCC 3.x seem to have problems compiling the kernel source (especially
the GC) correctly.  Disabling -O2 sometimes makes it better; I don't
know whether the issue has to do with some code in the lisp/gc sources
depending on non-portable C behavior in some subtle way or whether
it's an outright bug in GCC 3.x.

Recent OpenSolaris builds seem to ship with a fairly old GCC; there's
a newer one at blastwave.org, but it seems to be 32-bit only.