[Openmcl-devel] iSight progress

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Wed Jan 30 08:42:27 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Ron Garret wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Ron Garret wrote:
>

>>> Does -[QCView createSnapshotImageOfType:] work any better?  Since QC
>>> is drawing to an OpenGL context, maybe the NSView method doesn't do
>>> the job.
>>
>> I haven't tried that yet, but I did try snapshotImage.  When I didn't
>> have the live image working, snapshotImage actually worked (in
>> conjunction with calling cacheDisplayInRect:toBitmapImageRep: to
>> force
>> the image to update.  It was weird -- there was a two-frame delay
>> between calling cacheDisplayInRect:toBitmapImageRep: and having that
>> image show up as the result of calling snapshotImage.
>>
>> But when I tried calling snapshotImage while live update was running
>> it froze my Mac (even the cursor froze) and required a reboot.  :-(
>
> snapshotImage does work, but only a few times.  Then it freezes the
> machine and requires a reboot.

Sorry if this gets annoying, but I'm going to report any additional
clues I find incrementally, because if I don't do it that way I'll
lose the information when the machine hangs.

1.  When I try the minimize-window trick to kickstart the rendering
process, it only works if I'm running the cocoa-app.  If I start CCL
from the terminal and do (require 'cocoa) then that trick doesn't
work.  (But CCL still uses a bunch of CPU, so it thinks its doing
something.)

2.  I get the following message on the console once every 30 seconds
or so:

Error: MPEG2Decompressor[0x148940]: bad picture_coding_type (number =
0, size = 4)

rg