[Openmcl-devel] Random crashing

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jul 17 12:54:02 PDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Osei Poku wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I updated today from svn but this thing happened again.  Again the PC was in
> the pthread memory region and %rdi was 0.  I verified that the fix (r9997 i
> think) was in my ccl working directory (somewhere in thread_manager.c
> right?).

Yes; there are 3 calls to pthread_kill() in that file.  One of
them (in resume_tcr()) is conditionlized out; the other two
(in raise_thread_interrupt() and suspend_tcr()) should check
to make sure that the thread that they'd pass as the first
argument to pthread_kill is non-zero before doing the call.)

> My current version is:
> Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.2-r10073M-RC1  (LinuxX8664)!
>
> Is there anything other than (rebuild-ccl :force t) that I need to do to
> recompile the c source for the lisp kernel?

As Gail just pointed out, :full t (or :kernel t) is necessary
in order to get the kernel updated. (:force t will recompile
FASLs even if they're newer than the corresponding source;
that's occasionally useful, but not really what you want here.)

If the kernel that you're running had its modified date change
by the rebuild process, it likely incorporates those changes.  If
those changes didn't fix the problem, then I don't have a good
guess as to what the problem is: there aren't too many places
where the lisp calls into the threads library: it creates threads
and sends them signals via pthread_kill().  (There's another
place where a thread will send itself a signal via pthread_kill(),
but that is pretty much guaranteed to be a valid thread ...)