[Openmcl-devel] Lisp on the iPhone

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Thu Jun 12 11:34:30 PDT 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Andrew Shalit wrote:

> As for the restrictions on developers: It's true those would seem to
> disallow Lisp, smalltalk, a JVM, etc.  This may be a firm long-term
> policy, or it might just be an interim artifact of Apple figuring out
> their security measures.  All iPhone applications need to be signed,
> and signatures are generated by Apple for approved developers.  I'm
> not sure how that could work in the face of interpreters or compilers
> residing on the iPhone.  But maybe they'll figure out a way to let it
> happen for select tools.

Since Apple's sandboxing implementation seems to be laughable at best,
they no doubt want to ensure that any interpreter does its own
sandboxing well enough to be trusted. I'd imagine Adobe and Sun could
get an exemption for Flash and Java. Squeak or any of the existing CL
implementations (aside from ABCL)... probably not so easy. A native
Lisp environment may also not be an easy sell as the native compilers
tend to break on major OS revisions.

The most interesting possibility to me would be Microsoft putting
Silverlight and the CLR/DLR on the iPhone. An environment which hosts
Python and Ruby could also no doubt host an acceptable implementation
of Common Lisp. I chatted with Gary Byers briefly about this at
ILC'05. Many of the issues that the Common Larceny developers had
getting Scheme on the CLR (efficient call/cc and tail-calling) are not
an issue for CL, and the early-unwind exceptions problem has already
been addressed in ABCL. Running CL in the browser would be pretty
cool, too :-)
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net